Your number one resource for information related to thyroid conditions.
Cut the cost of your medication with Pharmacy2U promotional codes
How to Take Your Thyroid Medication
If you want to make sure that you are taking your thyroid medication properly,
here are some guidelines to help you.
- Always check your prescription against what you receive. Don't accept
- Taking thyroid hormone on an empty stomach allows for maximum absorption.
- Allow at least one hour before eating, because it allows for maximum
absorption of the medication.
- Be consistent about a high-fiber diet. If you start or stop eating
high-fiber, get your thyroid rechecked, because it may change your absorption.
- Many experts recommend you take vitamins or supplements with iron
at least two to three hours apart from thyroid hormone. Iron can interfere
with thyroid hormone absorption if taken too close together.
- Be careful about taking calcium and calcium-fortified orange juice
at the same time as thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart,
so absorption is not affected.
- Don't take antacids within two hours of thyroid hormone. Allow at
least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.
- Watch for interactions with antidepressants & thyroid hormone.
Zoloft, Paxil and Prozac can make thyroid meds more or less effective.
Talk to your doctor.
- Don't stop taking thyroid hormone when you're pregnant or breastfeeding.
It's necessary for you and your baby's health. Talk to your doctor about
adjusting to the right dosage.